Tuesday 10 November 2009

It happened one night...

I've always known that I can be rather clumsy at times (ok that's kind of an understatement). But I never though that that little flaw (which can sometimes be a charm) would provide me with so much adventure as it did last night. First of all let me just say that I do feel that those fresh fruit juices that come in those rather huge glass bottles is a good idea. It goes along Holland's policy of recycling and saving the earth and all that jazz. But I do know that a combination of glass bottle in hand and a dark hallway is not always a good idea. Add that to tiredness due to more than 3 hours of spins and splits and you've got yourself a perfect recipe for disaster. It wouldn't have been so bad had I remembered that at the end of that hallways stand 3 little steps but me being me, I didn't. One minute I was talking to a friend and wondering if I had missed the bus and the next, I was flying through the air (well, not really, but you get what i mean). Survival instinct kicked in and I stretched out my hand to break my fall, forgetting that I'm still holding on to that glass bottle, which contained a very delicious combination of banana and orange juice. The good news is, I did manage to break my fall and avoid slamming my face into the carpeted floor. The bad news is the glass bottle broke and glass pieces were everywhere, included in my hand, and not to mentioned that it was a waste of perfectly good juice. My dance mates came running down (by that time I have switched on the lights to avoid a further disaster, or else the scene would resemble that of those that often experienced by Happy Tree Friends). They helped me clean up the glass and well, to cut a long story short (too late? who said that?!) I was driven to the ER in Den Haag. Thank god for compulsory health insurance! My advice to anyone is to be prepared in case you do end up in the ER in the future (although not ending up there would be a much better idea). Bring a reading material, a project or a friend! Thank god I brought the latter. We ended up talking for 3 hours while one doctor after another come in to look at my wound. When I did finally get treatment, which consisted of 2 stitches and a tentinous shot, it lasted for all of 20 minutes. I guess the Dutch's philosophy of taking things easy and not rushing anything also applies to treatments at the ER. But the whole experience did have good outcome. I bonded with a fellow dance friend and it showed me the importance of health insurance, which I have been making used of a lot lately. And I promised that I'll be more careful next time...well, I'll try.

1 comment:

  1. And I thought I was bad! LOL. I'm glad you're ok! And the slow ER thing... happens in the States too. God forbid anyone had an actual emergency in either country!

    ReplyDelete