Thursday 12 November 2009

Things to get off my chest

Yet another rejected after another interview...and all for the same reason; I do not have a teaching certificate that is equal to the Dutch teaching certificate. It doesn't matter that I've had nearly 5 years of teaching experience, that my heart and soul is in educating the young minds and that I give it 200% effort each and everytime....all that matters is that somehow, the dutch authorities decided that I have not had enough EDUCATION. That's what gets me the most. No one can be a good teacher by just going to school. Believe me, I know of a couple of teachers who did 4 years of studies in education and are crappy teachers. Experience in the classroom is the key to a good teacher, that and dedication and I know that I have them both. But after all these rejections, it makes me feel that all the hard work that I put in amounts to nothing. All those hours of staying in school (up to more than 12 hours at times), and weekends that I spent in my room correcting books and planning lessons, all those times, i spent searching for resources and doing research so as to make my lessons fun and make the kids look forward to studying, is all down the drain.
I tried to be something else other than a teacher but that's not where my heart is. Teaching makes me happy, knowing that if I made a difference in at least one student's life is reward enough (though the school vacations and bonuses didn't hurt either). If I'm not a teacher, than who am I? Someone commented on how much I love rogrammes on crimes and suggested that maybe I should consider being a police officer, but that's a hobby I have, just like fashion and i want it ti remain as that; a hobby. Teaching is my career. It's my life....

2 comments:

  1. It will happen. Coming to a new country is all about starting over (this is, afterall the chick who failed her first driving test after 10+ years behind the wheel!) and it's angering and obnoxious as you-know-what, but you have the drive and you have the talent and your heart's in the right place. Just get that stupid piece of paper and they'll take you up in a blink of an eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trust me....lots of us have been through this - including myself. don't get knocked down girl. this path kenna blocked, it's ok...there's always another path. just gotta find it.

    ReplyDelete